Saturday, March 22, 2014

Doggie Dreams.

Boo! I'm back. So anyway, I'll type a bunch to reflect on my absence but one of the things that is most prominent and possibly turning into a reality, sooner rather than later, is getting a dog. Unlike some, I don't really come from a pet family. My parents work too much to raise anyone else besides my brother and me. We raised a feral cat as a kid but it became too much of a burden, so it was put down. We also had a fish tank but my parents ended up shattering it because they are horrible at moving furniture. We're sooooo responsible, right? My dad also doesn't help either because he's really apathetic towards everything so my mom has twice the responsibilities and pretty much fills both roles. She's the one who pays the bills and cooks. All my dad ever does is sleep, drink, and work. The most he ever does is take the cars to get some maintenance done. My dad also can't cook and doesn't really, so whenever he does eat, it's whatever is left over in the fridge. A dog couldn't possibly fit into the picture. Both my brother and dad are slobs. Momma is swamped with twice the workload, and I still had to finish school.

I won't be springing this to my mom since I already told her last year that I'm planning on getting a dog, whether she likes it or not. She'll be at fault if she doesn't actually REMEMBER. My brother nor dad don't give a fuck about anything, so I don't even talk to them. My mom would say crap like "you have to train it...it costs money and time...BLAH BLAH BLAH" with all the doubt in the world that I don't seem responsible enough to care for an animal. You would think that I have some merit because I have been working with children for the past five years and I am financially responsible, and even contribute a portion of the money I make to my mom. This doesn't mean that I don't have money in savings either. Of course, I've appealed with these reasons but you know there's probably some other reason why she doesn't want one. I actually chose a breed with allergies in mind, so I'm at least thoughtful.

Source: http://skookumthesamoyed.tumblr.com/post/74886464571/baby-skookum-x
Most recently, I went to look on the American Kennel Club website for fun (during one of my many "study breaks") since all the breeders I have bookmarked either did not have a litter available or didn't respond, and I actually got a result that came from California. And not only was it in California, but it was in the San Diego County opposed to somewhere up north, so it'd be a two hour drive compared to a drive upwards of six to eight hours. I was in preparation for finals, so I decided to email the breeder after I had finished my exams. I actually went through with writing an email that night and, to my surprise, got a response the next day. The breeder basically said that she actually isn't sure if she has puppies available because person she's breeding her dogs with might be taking some (or that's how I interpreted it). I knew that she would still have the puppies at hand since the litter was born on the 13th of February (we'd have the same birthday week) and the babies still need to remain at home for seven to eight weeks, but I wasn't expecting some other party to be involved with the person. Some of the terms she used had me a bit confused but it was essentially a 50/50 chance of her having a puppy for me and the price of one would be $1800. She followed up with some questions on my location, the living arrangements of the dog, and why I had this breed in mind.



I replied with a very brief email because I didn't feel the need to type a whole essay for the person. I don't think anyone would want one, as a matter of fact. I actually sent my first email clearly stating that I was not looking for a show dog, so a Samoyed with any superficial flaw that was not consistent with breed standards would be okay since I just wanted one as a family pet. Anyway, having a little superficially flawed dog sounds cool because I think of things like Harry Potter's lightning scar (lol). It'd certainly be living indoors and I've also basically went over this in a previous blog entry. I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled upon the breed, but I initially had wanted a Golden Retriever since they seemed like the most perfect breed to exist. Later, I found them to cost upwards of $2,000 dollars and it seemed like almost every other person I knew had one, so I naturally backed away from considering one. My criteria basically started with the size of the dog and grooming costs. Allergies aren't that big of a problem since the allergies my mom and I have are related to the season or fluctuations in weather. Furthermore, there isn't a true hypoallergenic dog, but dogs with coats more similar to human hair which shed less dander. If you take that into consideration, then it's either a dog with long stringy hair or curly hair, like a Yorkie or Poodle. I didn't want either of those and I definitely wanted a medium sized dog to be active with. Further supporting my want for a medium sized dog was the possibility that it could encourage my mom to walk more since my mom complains about being "fat" and doesn't do anything about it. Studies have also shown that they help lower blood pressure, so that could help my mom too. But yeah, I think I found the Samoyed breed after being obsessed with those Animal Planet: Dogs 101 videos on YouTube. I was like, "This dog is perfect. It looks like a white, medium sized Pomeranian/Lion and they are very people friendly dogs. They also are relatively average when it comes to health problems, so I wouldn't have to specifically look for issues when it comes to breathing or sight. The only con they really have is that they shed a lot, but daily brushing is better than a trip to the groomers every two months and they are claimed to be allergy friendly".

The breeder followed up with an email two days later. She said that if she couldn't get me a puppy, that she would refer me to other Samoyed breeders. I did Google her name and aside from being a registered AKC Breeder, I think she also is part of the Samoyed Club of San Diego or something, so maybe I'll be in contact with another reputable Samoyed breeder soon. We'll see how this goes. She also said that if that doesn't work out, her other female will be bred next year and that I could be kept in contact if I'd like. Another year is not a problem. $1800 is a lot of money but I've saved a lot. I was expecting the asking price to range between $1200~1600 but I live in a state where everything costs more, so it's understandable. I've seen them go for as low as $800 on the AKC site before but it was in a nowhere state like Wisconsin or Delaware...or somthing. I know French Bulldogs go for at least $2000 but I'm certain that it's because they need assistance when birthed because apparently their heads are so big that the mother would always need a Cesarian section? I never travel. I only go out once every two weeks. I sometimes go through long periods without buying clothes since there would be nothing that really catches my eye and isn't on sale. My splurges aren't that big. My last big one was probably my desktop which ended up costing $1100'ish to build, and that was over two years ago. Ahh~ soon! soon this may all be a reality. I swear, if I was a pretty girl, this wouldn't be as complicated. Though I pretty sure the rich boyfriend wouldn't have done as thorough of research...
Source: http://damonofasengard.tumblr.com/post/74648445091/yep
On a random note, I just found out that one lookbook dude "Peter Adrian" or whatever has one while I was looking for Samoyed pictures through the Tumblr tag. FUCKIN' AYE! As if having the same first name wasn't enough (lol), now it's like I'm bandwagoning a "trendy" dog *sigh* He's probably younger than me too. Ugh, why couldn't I be born a upper-middle class person?!

That's all for now. My eyes kind of hurt from rereading over and over to catch my mind drifting off. Hopefully everything sounds clear. I'll reread again later when I'm not seeing lines all over the place. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment