Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Howdy~

Almost a year has passed since my last entry, yikes. Looking at the entry prior to this one, seeing that kitten still breaks my heart. Knowing what I know now, the coat condition of it is pretty concerning and it could've tested positive for something infectious, so maybe it had to be put down...who knows.

I actually have a laboratory practicum I should be frantically studying for but at this point, I'm kind of over it and want to wing it. I'll obviously still study but I'm not deep into my document file trying to memorize every little detail. I'm just hoping I have all the pictures that might appear in it and pray that I don't have to know anything statistical because all I really know from memory is that the average red blood cell amount in a microliter of dog blood is between 6 and 9 million red blood cells and cats is between 5 and 10 million per microliter of blood.


Funny thing about my most recent class is that I've scored the highest in the last three exams in my clinical pathology class and it's just absolutely wild to me. I actually think I have the highest grade in class, even though it's not an A and it most likely won't be after this practicum (I've only managed to get it to an 87% because I don't always get good scores on the daily quizzes...sigh). The RVT director was saying how hard it is and my vet office professor said it was her only C in college, so I was like... I guess I'll take it later on...but I really had no choice but to take it now or prolong my time in the program.

The average exam score is always a D and this is a medical class so in order to even pass the class, you need AT LEAST a 75% or higher. The other day, I was backing out of the driveway and I had a sudden memory jolt in my head of how I failed Algebra 2 in high school with a D and had to retake it in the summer to pass, but now I'm doing simple medical math that the rest of the class doesn't seem to comprehend. Sure, the terms can be confusing and the way they phrase the formula is a bit odd but it's definitely something that can be understood within an hour. FURTHERMOREI DON'T EVEN WORK IN AN ANIMAL HOSPITAL!! I GOT REJECTED FROM MY ONLY INTERVIEW FOR ONE!! MY DUMB ASS EVEN STUPIDLY POKED MYSELF ONE LAB DAY WITH A SYRINGE WHILE PULLING OFF THE CAP AND BENDING THE NEEDLE WITH MY FINGER (FULLY KNOWING THAT IT IS SHARP). I'M ALSO ONE OF ONLY 3 BOYS IN THE CLASS!!! What's also funny is that some people in my class are taking it the 2nd time (so technically they have a leg up and should be scoring better?) and a lot of my classmates have taken more advanced courses than me (like veterinary pharmacology, radiology, medical nursing, etc), but I still managed to outscore them. It's SO WEIRD and tt sucks when I get an exam question and it asks like "which of these medications can't be used to treat heartworm microfilariae?" or something and I have no idea what any of the choices are, but it's only one question. Wild, man, that's all I can say. I was literally on the wait-list for that class because I chickened out and dropped it the first time, but I told myself that I'm smart and I would take it anyway because it was one of the only 2 classes I was able to actually register into (being that my program has outgrown the number of people they can actually accommodate). I still have some first year classes to finish but after summer, I can actually start doing my volunteer work experience requirement since I would be taught handling and animal restraint and would be able to put it into real world use then (it's also required). Maybe that's why the doctor kind of chuckled when she asked if she really saw my name in her roster for the summer class, because I have one of the highest grades but I'm not even towards the latter end of the program?... lol...(it's supposed to be one of the first classes you take but I can't because I have no seniority when it comes to registering for classes)

Either way, it feels nice. I feel sort of validated that I made the right choice in going back to school and seeking the right profession, especially since this is one of the classes everyone seems to dread. There were many hurdles, tests, rejections, and even a death, but it seems to be working out. I kind of wish I had a real pet sooner and not as I'm going to turn 30, maybe I could've been a veterinarian by now or something. I still have a year or so before I'm finished, but I'm pretty much almost halfway into my 2nd college degree. I never thought I'd have a 2nd degree, or even a degree in STEM for that matter, but it's possible! You CAN hate math and science (even though you like animals) and still have a STEM degree!  You don't actually have to learn anatomical molecular fusion calculus AD/BC! (Stuff I wish I knew when I was a teenager...)



*It should be noted that I don't study insanely hard, even though I complain about being tired and sleep deprived all the time. I just study efficiently and am smart enough to condense and reorganize my notes, so that I can reread the lesson multiple times to retain more information. I also unknowingly have been organizing more specific information into cornell styled tables in my doc (that part only occurred to me because a girl in my class saw my notes and said it). The organizing was especially useful when one of my exam questions which asked what family of parasitic worms "taenia pisiformis" was in and I remembered that I put it below "dipylidium caninum" which I knew was a common dog/cat tapeworm transmitted by fleas, but taenia pisiformis is a tapeworm (cestode) transmitted by eating a rabbit.
If I was to chronologically continue from where I left off in my last entry, I took animal physiology and anatomy during the winter and I finished animal sanitation and diseases yesterday. After tomorrow, I'll have finished the first of the two clinical pathology classes and will be taking animal handling and restraint in the summer.

Some other random funny things I find weird in the medical field is like...whenever I hear the word "atrophy" in a drug commercial on television and it sounds so serious, but it literally just means "shrink"...like muscle atrophy from not using it after a long time and I'm like...why can't they just use the word shrink in the medical record? I also keep confusing tetanus with tuberculosis, even though they don't sound the same (there's also typhus, trichinosis, and trichomoniasis which are all different) and I do know the differences between them but my brain has to take a step back whenever I hear one and try to remember the other, so that I won't confuse the two. If you're wondering the same thing and don't want to google it, they're both bacterial pathogens but tetanus is from dirty needles or anything sharp and dirty that the bacteria can stay on, while tuberculosis is more airborne in a sense that it's transferred through sneezes and mucus. Tuberculosis is also a respiratory illness while tetanus is neurological as it can affect the nerves of your jaw and "lock it" (aka lockjaw).       

Ummm...I want to keep my entry happy until the end but I don't know how because I have no life and comparing my previous entry to his one is oddly similar. Also, a lot of my hotlinked images are dead and the boxes with the X bothers me. 

Black Panther came out on my 29th birthday but I watched it like 2 weeks after. It was a good movie. I don't think my mom enjoyed it as much as Wonder Woman, but Wonder Woman 1984 just came out with some official images and that working title!

I'm so essssited and can't wait to watch it. I have so many comic books to catch up on. I also want to watch The Last Jedi and update my YouTube channel. Sigh, so much to do. I'm also sad that New Super-man which got renamed to "New Super-man and the Justice League of China" got cancelled, but at least it's not abruptly cancelled and we'll get some sort of ending.

When it comes to my fitness, I don't see too much of a change in my body besides my arms looking a teeny more vein'y around the bicep and maybe a little more leg definition, but I can't do that thing where you flex your thigh and make it look all gross looking. My waist and stomach still look gross but I'm not going be insanely picky and try to diet away my imperfections.
A post shared by Peter 🐈 (@petehizzle) on

My heaping piece of trash brother ordered new computer speakers that the delivery guy left in the backyard today. I really hate it because his speakers aren't even broken. I also just reread my portion about him in my last entry, AND HE BOUGHT HIMSELF PARTS TO MAKE A NEW COMPUTER SINCE I PUBLISHED THAT ENTRY. It's SOOOOO ANNOYING BECAUSE I WANT NEW THINGS TOO but does it mean I should get it, NO!!!!!!!! DOES HE DESERVE IT? NO!! HE SHOULD BE GETTING YELLED AT BY CUSTOMERS AND SWEATING HIS ASS OFF DOING PHYSICAL LABOR INSTEAD. A little unrelated, but once, I saw him throw away deodorant and asked him why and he said they expired. I was so baffled because first, he doesn't exercise so it doesn't really matter if he's using it to cover his smell if he's barely sweating. Second, it's not a food item, so it's not like it'll poison him or something.

If you can't already tell, I really hate being wasteful.

On the subject of my mom, while my mom is content with her job, she complains about her hands being numb all the time and if I tell her to see a doctor, she just shrugs it off. It's probably some sort of nerve related thing and she already pays for health insurance, so I don't see why she doesn't just go but yeah. That also bothers me because like...what if she can't work anymore because it would start affecting other parts of her body? So I really need to finish up this program and make more money. I have the most apathetic alcoholic dad that still works even though he's retirement age. He just kind of exists but doesn't really do anything. My piece of trash brother will probably work at my job until it goes out of business because he's pathetic and can't do anything by himself.

I just want to make enough to live alone, work a fulfilling job, and get another dog and a cat.

Whenever I want to give up, I always have to remind myself that I'm doing it because of Triton and he's the best. I miss him so much...still. This YouTube series has caught my attention recently and it just ended. Watch it! You'll be so proud of them.

That's all for now, I think. I need to eat dinner and study a bit before bed. I've become a morning person now. My alarm goes off at 6am everyday unless I have morning class, then it's 5am...zzz.

I'm also contemplating on buying a 10inch Amazon fire tablet because I'm too cheap for an iPad and I want to stop taking my mom's to use. It's also a bit cheaper because of father's day. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

0 comments:

Post a Comment